The health and appearance of teeth can affect many aspects of your life, including your willingness to smile. One in four adults avoid smiling due to the condition of their teeth and mouth. This is according to a recent survey from the American Dental Association (ADA), which assessed oral health and well-being in the United States.
Here, Dr. Sean Feely of Ramona Family Dentistry discusses the survey’s key findings in detail.
What the ADA Found
The ADA surveyed a group of American adults about their oral health status, attitudes and dental care utilization. Here are some key findings:
- One in four adults avoid smiling due to the condition of their mouth and teeth.
- Twenty-three percent of all adults surveyed are embarrassed due to the condition of their mouth and teeth, while one in five experience anxiety because of it.
- Twelve percent all adults surveyed said they reduce participation in social activities due to the condition of their mouth and teeth.
Millennials, adults between the ages of 18 and 34, are particularly affected by oral health problems. The survey found:
- Thirty five percent are embarrassed due to the condition of their mouth and teeth.
- Thirty three percent avoid smiling because of it.
- Twenty three percent reduce their participation in the social activities due to their mouth and teeth.
- Thirty eight percent said they find life “less satisfying” because of oral health problems.
Despite the concern about their oral health, many adults go over a year without visiting the dentist. According to the survey, only 37 percent of adults surveyed visited the dentist within the last year.
Restorative Dental Treatments for a Healthy and Beautiful Smile
If oral health problems have affected the health and appearance of your smile, Dr. Nathan Christensen, D.D.S. and Dr. Hemant Sachdeva D.D.S. offers a number of restorative dental treatments to help your teeth get back to optimal shape. These treatments include fillings, crowns, bridges, dentures and implants. All dental restorations are crafted using the strongest and most durable materials to ensure long-lasting results. Dr. Nathan Christensen, D.D.S. and Dr. Hemant Sachdeva D.D.S. can use high-quality composite resin or porcelain to create dental restorations that mimic the look and feel of natural teeth.
Cosmetic Dental Treatments to Look and Feel Your Best
If you don’t have major oral health problems, but are self-conscious about a cosmetic flaw in your smile, Dr. Nathan Christensen, D.D.S. and Dr. Hemant Sachdeva D.D.S. can recommend a cosmetic dental treatment. He offers in-office teeth whitening to lighten discolored or yellow teeth, porcelain veneers to conceal small cracks and chips, and smile makeover to address several cosmetic problems.
Why delay on a healthier and brighter smile? Ramona Family Dentistry invites you to schedule a consultation to discuss your dental needs and goals with Dr. Nathan Christensen, D.D.S. and Dr. Hemant Sachdeva D.D.S.. Please call (760) 789-0170 or email us today.